A Closer Look: Verifying Dimensional Accuracy
Dimensional inspection, also called dimensional metrology, assesses the geometric characteristics of parts and products to assure their compliance with design specifications. Dimensional inspection verifies the accuracy of product features that can affect reliability and functionality, and can be a critical step during product development or following production.
LTI Metrology at Laboratory Testing Inc. performs dimensional inspection on surface and specialty features of machined parts and products, including internal and external fastener threads.
The Lab has all the necessary qualifications:
- First article inspection and third-party dimensional metrology services are performed according to NAS, MS and ANSI specifications.
- Dimensional inspection and measurement capabilities are accredited to ISO/IEC 17025 by A2LA.
- All instrumentation used in the dimensional metrology lab is traceable to NIST (National Institute of Standards and Technology).
Providing the Most Reliable Results
LTI Metrology near Philadelphia, PA gives customers the measurement information they need for product verification and quality control, so they can get their products to the marketplace and stay ahead of the competition. For the highest degree of accuracy, we minimize factors that contribute to measurement uncertainty:
- Dimensional inspection services are performed in an environmentally-controlled laboratory with regulated temperature and humidity.
- Our dimensional metrology inspectors are thoroughly trained to interpret customer prints.
- CMM inspection services and Smartscope technology are utilized for timely, reliable and repeatable measurements.
The dimensional inspection equipment at LTI Metrology has both contact and non-contact measurement options including a multisensor Smartscope with optical and touch probe capabilities and a Brown & Sharpe CMM Measuring Microscope with zoom magnification. Our technicians are also trained to perform inspections with conventional measuring equipment. LTI Metrology’s CMM and conventional dimensional inspection services include:
Dimensional Inspection Methods
- Contact CMM Inspection – large items up to 18″ x 20″ x 16″
- Video or Non-contact CMM Inspection Service - items to 20” x 18” x 8”
- Conventional Inspection – thread gages, plug gages, height gages, micrometers, calipers and surface plates
LTI Metrology Capabilities
- First article inspection
- Third party inspection
- CMM and Smartscope technology for high volume repeatability
- A2LA accreditation to ISO/IEC 17025
- NIST traceability
- Dimensional inspection performed to NAS, MS and ANSI specifications