A Coordinate Measuring Machine (CMM) is used for measuring the physical geometrical characteristics of an object. Periodic CMM calibration ensures that the machine reports accurate dimensional measurements when in use. Measurements are taken by a probe attached to a manual or computer-controlled moving axis. By precisely recording the X, Y, and Z coordinates of the target, points are generated which can then be analyzed using regression algorithms for the construction of features.
CMM is a device often used in product development, manufacturing or assembly processes to inspect a part or assembly against design drawings or production plans. CMMs can be programmed to repeatedly measure identical parts, thus providing an efficient form of inspection for large volume items. Repeat usage and environmental conditions can cause the system to become inaccurate over time.
The field team at LTI Metrology provides on-site CMM calibration services to verify your equipment for ongoing accuracy. Our calibration services are traceable to NIST, accredited by A2LA to ANSI/ISO/IEC 17025 and are performed in accordance with ISO 9001-2000, ISO 10012-1 ANSI/NCSL Z540 and other requirements.
The Calibration Process
During CMM calibration services, our field technicians thoroughly clean and inspect the scales, drive, guideways, probe, hardware and electronic systems. They also run both before and after data (as found, as left) which is reported on your Calibration Certificate. The latest CMM calibration methods are used in accordance with customer and/or manufacturer specifications and include the following:
- Inspect linearity (X, Y and Z Axis)
- Inspect perpendicularity (XY, ZX, and ZY planes)
- Inspect beam / plate parallelism
- Perform full volumetric ball bar performance test per ASME B89.4.1
- Check repeatability (X, Y and Z Axis)
- Replace stylus and touch probes
CMM Calibration Capabilities
- Calibrating most makes and models
- Gantry, Cantilever, Bridge and Column.
- Manual or Direct Computer Control (DCC)
- NIST traceability
- A2LA accreditation to ANSI/ISO/IEC 17025