Dye Penetrant Inspection
Visible Dye & Fluorescent Penetrant Inspection
Dye penetrant inspection, also called liquid penetrant inspection, is a dependable, harmless method of finding near-surface flaws in products and parts. Dye penetrant inspection can be successfully performed on products made of non-porous materials such as metal and glass.
What Laboratory Testing Has to Offer
We have solutions to meet your specification or application:
- Liquid penetrant inspection is performed to ASTM E1417 and MIL specifications.
- Two inspection methods are available:
- Fluorescent penetrant inspection
- Red visible dye penetrant inspection
- Equipment handles products up to 25 ft. long.
- Only high-quality Magnaflux materials are used.
- Both water-washable and post-emulsifiable fluorescent penetrants are available in sensitivity levels 2, 3 and 4.
How the Inspections Are Performed
These examinations are performed by first coating clean test pieces with either a fluorescent dye or visible dye penetrant. The pieces are left to sit, allowing the penetrant to have appropriate dwell time to soak into the flaws. After rinsing the test pieces, penetrant is visible only in the areas with flaws or defects. It is important that dye penetrant inspection be performed on products with a non-porous surface since the dye penetrant should only soak into the flaws and not the surrounding material.
LTI’s liquid penetrant inspection department is capable of inspecting products up to 25 ft. long such as pipe, tubing and barstock. Our lab is equipped with three large penetrant dip tanks, a 25 ft. dwell tank and a large inspection room with three high-intensity black lights for viewing the fluorescent dye penetrant.
Dye Penetrant Inspection Highlights
- Inspection Methods – fluorescent penetrant inspection; red visible dye penetrant inspection
- Size Limitations – products up to 25 feet in length
- Product Requirements – non-porous surface
- Inspection Supplies – Magnaflux brand
- Test Specification – ASTM E1417; MIL-STD-271, 2132 and 6866
Contact LTI for pricing on your specific inspection requirements or for more information on our capabilities.