Machining Test Specimens
Tensile Specimen, Charpy Specimen & More
When test specimens are needed for mechanical or corrosion testing, let our machinists do the work. The LTI Machine Shop prepares all test specimens according to ASTM standards (ASTM A370, ASTM E8, ASTM E23) and the requirements of our customers. All test specimen machining is Nadcap accredited.
The latest waterjet equipment for cutting and CNC centers for milling, turning and grinding allows us to prepare the highest quality test specimens quickly and economically, including:
- Round or flat tensile specimen
- Charpy specimen with a V-notch
- Impact test specimen
- Many others for jominy, stress rupture, fracture toughness and more test methods
Laboratory Testing Inc. is a NIST Qualified Manufacturer for Charpy V-notch Impact verification test specimens. Traceability of sample material and test specimens is insured from receipt inspection through the final process in our laboratory machine shop.
Machining of test specimens is a time-saving convenience for our customers that require a specimen for destructive testing. Our machining capabilities allow the complete order to be processed right at LTI, from receipt of the sample to preparation of the Certified Test Report. Laboratory Testing also provides test specimens to companies that perform their own in-house testing.
Refer to our Sample Size Requirements under the Guidelines section on our Resources page when ordering testing services that require test specimens.
Test Specimens Summary
- Machining Standards – ASTM A370, ASTM E8, ASTM E23
- Test Specimens Provided
- Tensile Specimen – flat, round (threaded, unthreaded), elevated temperature
- Charpy Specimen – including V-notch and Izod Imact Test Specimen
- Stress Corrosion
- Hydrogen Embrittlement
- Stress Rupture
- Fracture Toughness – notched by EDM
- NIST Qualified Manufacturer – Charpy V-notch Impact
- Additional Services – Electrical discharge machining (EDM)