Metals & Alloys
Full-Service Metal and Alloy Testing Lab
Metal testing and alloy testing are specialties of Laboratory Testing Inc. and the foundation of the company founded in 1984. We test and analyze all types of ferrous and nonferrous metals including precious metals, alloys, ferroalloys and powdered metals. All services are performed at our one-stop facility near Philadelphia, PA (USA).
Test to Ensure Quality and Performance
LTI measures the quality and performance levels of raw materials and product samples according to industry standards, specifications and customer requirements. If your material or product fails to perform as expected, our laboratory technicians and materials engineers are highly qualified to carry out a wide-range of metal testing and evaluation to help identify the root cause.
The use of metals and alloys like cast iron, steel, stainless steel and alloy steel has been a part of our human history for ages. In recent years, even though the demand for nonferrous metals and new non-metallic materials has increased dramatically, world metal and alloy production and their use have also risen steeply, and are still the mainstay of manufacturing. In addition, the safety and reliability requirements for these products have also increased.
Support Business Decisions with Metal Testing
With over 30 years of experience, the information provided by LTI’s wide-range of metal testing services has proven valuable to customers in all aspects of basic metals and fabricated metal product manufacturing including mining, foundries, tube, pipe, bar and plate production, casting, forging and stamping, forming of component parts and finished products, coating and heat treatments and welding:
- Some manufacturing treatments and processes can modify or alter the microstructure of metals and alloys, and thereby influence their properties such as yield strength, ductility, fracture toughness and others. These properties need to be considered, and often tested, by purchasers that will further process these materials.
- The composition and corrosion susceptibility of metals may be determined to aid in material selection.
- Surface or internal flaws, inconsistencies and discontinuities that occur in basic metals or a component product during manufacturing can be uncovered by various types of testing before problems or failures occur.
LTI Metal & Alloy Testing Capabilities
- Spectroscopy (ICP-AES, ICP-MS, AES)
- Scanning Electron Microscopy/Energy Dispersive X-ray Spectrometry (SEM/EDS)
- Positive Material Identification (PMI)
- Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy (FTIR)
- Wet Chemistry
- Intergranular Corrosion Testing (ASTM A262 Practice A, B, C, D, E; G-28 Methods A & B)
- Corrosion Resistance Testing (ASTM G48 Methods A & B)
- Corrosion Testing (ASTM A923 Method C)
- Salt Spray/Salt Fog (ASTM B117)
- Humidity Testing
- Passivation Testing
- Temperature Testing
- Tensile Testing
- Elevated Temperature
- Charpy Impact Testing
- Fracture Toughness Testing
- Hardness Testing
- Bend Testing
- Stress Rupture Testing
- Hydrogen Embrittlement
- Weld Testing
- Fastener Testing
- Grain Size (ASTM E112)
- Inclusion Rating (ASTM E45)
- Plating Thickness
- Carbide Precipitation
- Ferrite by Point Count (ASTM E562)
- Intergranular Attack & Oxidation
- Alpha Case
- Intergranular Corrosion (ASTM A262)
- Nodularity/Nodule Count
- Eutectic Melting
- Macro-etch (ASTM E340)
- Grain Flow
- Surface Condition
- Microhardness (Knoop & Vickers)
- Surface Contamination
- Case Depth
- Weld Qualification
- Ultrasonic Testing
- Magnetic Particle Inspection
- Liquid Penetrant Inspection
- X-ray Inspection (Radiography)
- Visual Examination
- SEM/EDS Analysis
Calibration services are also provided for the “one-stop” convenience of our customers in manufacturing and other industries that rely on accurate gages, measuring hand tools, or measuring instruments (pressure, torque, force, electrical, temperature, mass, vacuum). On-site calibration is also available for equipment such as surface plates, optical comparators, ovens and furnaces, hardness testers, scales and balances, temperature controllers and more.