Root Cause Failure Analysis Tells You What Went Wrong
A failure analysis investigation performed at Laboratory Testing Inc. helps explain the reason a METAL product fails to perform as expected or deteriorates to a point where it is no longer safe to use. Our metallurgical failure analysis engineers offer the following expertise:
- Root cause failure analysis for Metal products
- Helps you understand the reason behind material failure or product failure
- Provides insight into preventing a similar failure in the future
- Support when an expert witness is needed
Failure Analysis Process
LTI’s failure analysis lab near Philadelphia, PA (USA) begins each investigation with a background review of the material or part that failed. Whenever possible, customers provide us with all pertinent information, including:
- Composition and fabrication of the failed item
- Circumstances leading to the failure
- Details of the failure event by completing our Failure Analysis Questionnaire
Based on the type of product and its history, LTI engineers will perform a root cause failure analysis using the necessary testing and inspections to identify the cause of failure. A metallurgical failure analysis may include any of the wide-range of mechanical testing, metallurgical evaluation, chemical analysis, nondestructive testing or dimensional inspection services performed at our “one-stop” laboratory.
Testing and inspection are performed using top-of-the-line equipment throughout the Lab, including our Scanning Electron Microscope with EDS capabilities. We can get the structural and behavioral results necessary for a thorough investigation and to uncover the probable root cause of the failure, including:
- Material composition
- Mechanical properties
- The existence of flaws or inconsistencies
When the failure analysis is completed, customers receive a comprehensive Failure Analysis Report with all findings from the investigation. This Report may include recommended actions to be taken with similar parts or materials to prevent a reoccurrence in the future.
Failure Analysis Capabilities
- Failure Investigation: thorough review of background events leading to failure.
- Testing & Inspection: appropriate materials testing, nondestructive testing or dimensional inspection performed on the failed part.
- Analysis of Test Results: materials engineers analyze all testing and inspection results to identify the root cause of the failure.
- Failure Analysis Report: all findings and recommendations are documented in a comprehensive report. The report will provide the following:
- Description of the failed component
- Conditions at the time of failure
- Background service history
- Mechanical and metallurgical data about the failed part
- Evaluation of the material quality
- Discussion of mechanisms that explain the root cause of the failure
- Recommendations for prevention of future failures or for action to be taken with similar parts
- Assistance with Expert Witness needs